Tipped Employee Lawyer in Chicago
Do you work for tips? Are you paid less than minimum wage? If yes, you may be the victim of illegal wage theft. We are lawyers who have recovered millions in owed wages and compensation for restaurant servers, bartenders, dancers, and other tipped employees like you.
You may be owed money for violations of the tip credit laws if:
- Your employer makes you be in a tip pool or tip share with managers or other employees who rarely interact with customers;
- Your employer makes you pay for uniforms, customer walkouts, cash shortages, broken glasses, excessive credit card fees, or security expenses;
- Your employer requires you to perform work unrelated to your tipped job – like cleaning bathrooms, preparing food, or mopping floors – or requires you to spend more than 20% of your time on non-tipped “side work”;
- Your employer fails to pay you the minimum federal, state, or Chicago hourly wage in addition to your tips; or
- Your employer makes you attend meetings, perform training, or do other work without being clocked in (“off the clock” work).
If you experienced any of the above treatment at a current or former employer, you may need to act fast to recover your owed minimum wages and penalties.